Friday, January 9, 2015

The Mojo Muffler


Saying good-bye to the Mojo Muffler today. It's going to be frogged--it long-ago served its purpose

Ten months ago, I had knee replacement surgery. I imagined my rehab would be like an extended knitting retreat and I had mega-knitting plans. Knowing I might be feeling somewhat out-of-it, I was going to knit an easy-peasy garter stitch striped scrap scarf. As I felt better, I would then have time to  get to my UFOs: a blue shawlette -- Antarktis, pilates socks, a cushy cowl. Maybe I’d even make a dent in the sweater I started years ago.

But I spent the first few weeks after surgery elevating, icing, sleeping, binge-watching movies and TV series on Netflix and playing endless games of Candy Crush. Knitting held no interest for me.



After a few weeks, I started the striped scrap scarf.  I had tons of Zara that I acquired over the years (some bought, but most traded at the Knitters Review Retreat when Zara was in our goody bags.) I loved the colors--but hated the scarf.  It was too random and my life needed order--not more randomness!



I tried a few versions of it—hated them all. This is one I liked since there's an order to it. But, after a few rows, I realized that the rose rows that I especially liked reminded me too much of the ugly, red scar on my knee. Didn't need to have that reminder!


After that, I knit a row on the blue shawlette and put it back into the ziplock bag and forgot about it. Not only did knitting not interest me, I didn’t care that knitting didn’t interest me.

But since I still hung out in Ravelry and read some of the knitting blogs, I kept somewhat in touch with the fiber world. When Clara Parkes announced she had some lovely Cormo for sale, I bought enough of the sapphire color to knit a vest.


But when I looked over the pattern, I felt overwhelmed and the knitting malaise returned.

A few weeks later, there were some hold-back skeins of the Cormo available. I jumped on it and bought one skein in the wisteria color. I wondered why I was doing this since I hadn’t picked up the needles in weeks.

But as I was clicking the paypal link, I felt a little tickle of interest. I then began to track the yarn a few times a day. It was scheduled to be delivered on a Monday and I had a twinge of disappointment because I was hoping to receive it sooner. It was then that I began to think of what I could make with the lone skein. 155 yards. A scarf? Hat? Fingerless gloves? Finally it arrived at my Post Office! Best of all, it would be delivered not Monday, but on the preceding Saturday!

And, just like that, my knitting mojo was back!

And I knew what I was going to do with it. The lone skein was destined to be a long, skinny scarf in the farrow rib pattern. Easy-peasy and not overwhelming. Something that would help me get through the night when insomnia hit. Something I could do while pedaling away on the foot-peddler. Something I could toss in my bag and work on while waiting for my Pilates appointment. Something I could work on while watching  TV or reading. Something I could finish! And that's how the Mojo Muffler was born.

But I didn't finish. I got bored. Very bored. So bored of K2, P1 that I couldn't continue. But, by being bored, I realized that perhaps I was ready for something more challenging.

The blue shawlette came out of the ziplock and I finished that instead.



And then even more yarn was bought!


By this time, since I was able to concentrate on a pattern, I began a new shawl--Landmark.





So though the Mojo Muffler has been replaced by other projects and will be frogged--it will always be my favorite project. It got me back to knitting!


No comments: