Wednesday, May 27, 2009

To Rip or Not to Rip



You see that nasty piece of wonkiness above the red marker? The huge hole. The K2tog that isn't. A missing yarn over.

I was gonna keep it a secret. Not tell you. Not make it public.

But then I saw that a certain knitting diva has a similar problem. And she shouted it into knitting cyberspace. If Ann can embrace the wonkiness, so can I.

In the comments, some people advise her to rip it back. But many others are advocating for a sleight of hand. I have full confidence in whatever Ann chooses--the shawl will be fine. Her ripping back will go smoothly. Or if she does a duplicate stitch, it'll be perfect.

I don't have such confidence in me. I have visions. Visions of stitches running hither and thither if I rip it back. Visions of bobbles if I attempt to duplicate stitch and weave.

So I do nothing. I'm paralyzed with indecision.

5 comments:

stringplay said...

So far I've never tried that scary dropping stitches and reknitting them back up. I have tinked back tedious row by tedious row. AND I have left a few "design elements". I think it's one of those knitter's call.

Anonymous said...

Take it to a shop. One of the more experienced knitters can drop the stitch off the needle and do it back up in no time. I live on the wrong coast or I would gladly do it for you. It is tricky, don't get me wrong. It can be done though. The knitting diva's problem is much harder to fix. Hers requires some fancy handiwork with a needle and yarn to 'embroider' the stitches in place. Even then it is going to show. Your fix is a reknit and won't show.

sherriknits said...

How far back is it?

Susan said...

I've used a crochet hook and laddered it up. Sit at a table with good light and go slowly. And have a drink (or two) afterwards. It's not that hard but very scary. Oh and don't take anything off the needles that you don't have to.

TGL said...

I've done it too - crochet hook is the way to go. And drinking. But not till you are done...