Friday, June 11, 2010

J is for

jicama!

Jicama is a Mexican root vegetable--it's crispy and sweet and easily found in NYC markets.



Sonja and I had been having an email discussion about jicama because she found an interesting cole slaw recipe where jicama is an ingredient. She wasn't familiar with the vegetable and asked me about it. During my low-carb days, I used to prepare jicama as a snack food and I had forgotten how much I like it.

Here's what I do:

Peel the jicama.
Cut a slice off each end so it easily sits on the cutting board. Since the outer layer is quite thick, take a sharp knife and make a slit. You can then peel it off in strips. Use your hands--it's like peeling off wallpaper. I cut off those brown bits,



slice up the jimaca and put the pieces into a ziplock bag.



Squeeze limes over the slices (I used two limes for this jicama--but I wish I had a third one.)



Chop and add cilantro.



Shake the bag and put in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.



Tasty and refreshing on a hot summer day!



How to serve it:
Add salt, chili powder or hot pepper flakes and crunch away.
Scoop up salsa, hummus or dip with the jicama slices.
Make a margarita or mojito and enjoy!

8 comments:

stringplay said...

My poor jicama. It never stood a chance. Live and learn.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have only eaten it at a friend's house or restaurant. I think I buy one soon.

Bubblesknits said...

Huh...I'll have to see if any of our grocery stores carry that. :)

minipurl said...

Yummy. Thanks for the idea.

Iron Needles said...

Good J! or is it h???

I like jicama, too, and had one while my sister was here.

So what are you knitting???

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Nummy num! We love those out here in the Southwestern portions of the country. There's a jicama slaw, too.

Annie said...

Interesting: here in Holland I haven't seen this. It looks good though.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the link to your recipe!! It sounds wonderful! I've used jicama in a variety of dishes & now know to pair it w/ cilantro!