Saturday, December 8, 2007

Cute, Lazy Toes



No, no, no--not those toes--eventhough they are exceptionally cute and lazy.

These toes:



The beginning of my first toe-up sock!

There was some experimenting going on with this sock. You all know about the various toe-up cast ons:
the Turkish cast-on
Judy's Magic Cast-On, etc.

Well, I couldn't get the hang of any of them. Too fiddly for me. So, while making the twee bootie from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, I wondered about knitting an adult sock using the double knit toe.

The experimenting resulted in some odd boxy toes:



Finally I figured out the right, fiddly-free, not too boxy formula for me. I cast on 32 stitches and did the knit, slip thing for six rows. Then I slipped the stitches, opened up the toe and turned it right side out. There were now 16 stitches on each needle. I then worked an increase stitch (Kb &f) on the third from the end stitch of each needle. When there were 30 stitches on each, I knit a few straight rounds. Bear in mind that I kept trying this on! At some point, I worked a single increase on each needle and I now have 31 stitches on each. It seems to fit fine.

I won't even think about how to do the gusset and heel yet. But, so far, there's something about Fleegle's that appeals to me.

More cute, lazy toes:

3 comments:

stringplay said...

Way to Go! The Toe-Up Adventure begins (for knitter and helper/model). It's looking great in that yarn, too.

sherriknits said...

I love every version of lazy toes. :)

You did an awesome job! I haven't heard of that kind of start to a toe-up but I love the idea!

Windyridge said...

I've always wanted to try socks that way but I am chicken. I also want to try the two at a time sock knitting since I tend to suffer from SSO (second socks syndrome!)