Friday, January 15, 2010

A is for. . .

Afghan hooks.

When I went through my late aunt's needlecraft boxes,



I found a couple of odd-looking crochet hooks. They looked like straight knitting needles--but had a crochet needle tip.



Since one hook was still in its original packaging, I wasn't left in the dark for too long. Afghan hook--$1.00.

Next I turned to google and entered a whole new needlecraft world. Afghan crochet aka as Tunisian crochet.

Then I happened upon the Winter 2009 issue of Interweave Crochet and learned even more about Tunisian crochet.



With an afghan hook and some yarn in hand, I went back to the internet to learn how to use these afghan hooks.



This is the most basic stitch--the Afghan Stitch. But there's many, many more stitches and a ton of patterns.

Working on this little swatch was a lot of fun and maybe, perhaps my "T is for. . . . " will be a more substantial example of Tunisian crochet.

12 comments:

DeuceMom said...

Thanks for this - I've had a pattern for an afghan for a couple of years now but was unsure about learning Tunisian croceht. It looks like you picked it up very quickly!

knithound brooklyn said...

I just chatted up a lady on the subway who was doing this Tunisian Crochet. It's very attractive, not as bulky looking as regular crochet.

stringplay said...

Crochet is such a foreign world to me. Maybe I should just read more about it. Your swatch looks like a nice fabric.

Anonymous said...

Now I want to learn Tunisian crochet too. The stitches on your swatch are so even, looks like you are a pro already.

minipurl said...

Lovely :)

Yesterukes said...

Years ago I made an afghan for my boyfriend/now/husband using the afghan stitch. And on each panel of afghan stitch I cross stitched a floral design. I told him if we didn't get married, I wanted it back. I still have the afghan. And I still have hiim. And still like them both.

RedScot said...

An intriguing hook indeed! Never seen one before, but it looks like you have it tamed already!

Saffron said...

Can't wait to see more! :)

Anonymous said...

You inspired me! Today, I went to Borders and picked up Interweave Winter 2009 Crochet. I have a few of these Afghan needles and do not know how they came to live with me. They do seem friendly though!
KnittingKittens

Life's a Stitch said...

I have to get that magazine - I took a tunisian rochet class a couple of years ago, but it's hard to find nice patterns.

Desiree said...

So pretty! I've always wanted to try making one.

Kim said...

Who would think that a $1.00 afghan hook could be such a treasure? But I love that you're able to expand your own needlework world and also connect to your aunt like this.

And I think you may have inspired me to dig out my own afghan hook to try this out.