Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mr. Fussy Customer

My hubster is a real good guy and he doesn't say a word as he sees more yarn coming into this teeny-tiny apartment. For the past three Christmases, he's even enabled my stash habit by giving me a Knitty City gift card.

I've never knit hubster anything. So when he asked if I could knit him a watch cap, of course I said, "Sure!"

However, for the hubster, the perfect watch cap is like my quest for the perfect summer bag.

Here's what he wants:
dark blue or black
long enough to roll up like he did when he was in the Navy
it shouldn't look like a beanie when rolled
long enough to cover his ears when rolled down
thick yarn
able to keep in his coat pocket when not on his head
no fancy designs

So I'm now attempting this perfect watch cap.



Tomorrow marks four months since his surgery. Four months since his heart was stopped and repaired. Four months of watching him get stronger and healthier. Four months of thankfulness that everything will be OK.

The hubster can be as fussy as he wants. If the watch cap isn't right--it's only yarn and I'll fix it. Doing this isn't exactly heart surgery. And knitting the perfect watch cap doesn't even require the patience, work and determination it took to recover from heart surgery.

13 comments:

sherriknits said...

When you figure out the perfect watch cap, please write down the pattern for the rest of us who have also had one requested. My father-in-law gave me the same specifics.

I love how you look at life.

knithound brooklyn said...

The Marsan Watchcap seems to be a good one to consider...

Iron Needles said...

Exactly spot on!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear your hubby is recovering nicely. The yarn you chose is making up into a very stylish watch cap.

Yesterukes said...

Sounds like you're knitting a lot more into that hat than yarn! Best wishes to you both.

stringplay said...

For special knits there is a lot more in the knitting than yarn. Wear in good health, B!

Chris W. said...

Well said - fussiness rules all things considered.....

Anonymous said...

The best part of this watch cap is that every stitch is made with love!
KnittingKittens

caroline said...

My guy is ex-Navy and made the same request. Did you know the old original navy spec watch cap instructions are out there on teh interwebs? Can't find it just this instant but it's out there. Evidently when the Knit Your Bit campaign was going on in the states during WWII, the Navy wanted only regulation caps and published strict instructions. Whatever. May he wear it in continued good health!

Sidney said...

There's a free pattern on the web called Alison's NY Street Cap that's revered by my offspring as the perfect watchcap. It's made with DK weight yarn and has interesting construction: a hat within a hat. Warm and stretchy and good looking as well.

The DeDe said...

I'm so glad your hubby is doing well. What a great first knitted item for him!

Bubblesknits said...

Aw. Sweet post. I'm glad he's doing so well. I hope the watch cap fits just right. :-)

Susan said...

He deserves the perfect cap with your love knitted in it.